Comhairle Tuismitheoiri Choláiste Iognáid (more commonly known as the Parents’ Council) is a parent /guardian body associated with the school.
Its primary aims are as follows:
- To promote the role of parents and guardians as primary educators of their children, together with their teachers.
- To inform parents, guardians of their role (rights and responsibilities) with regard to the school.
- The advancement of the moral, mental, social and cultural wellbeing of the students of Coláiste Iognáid and of the Community generally.
- The fostering of good relations between parents, guardians, teachers, students and the school management at Coláiste Iognáid.
- To promote the Ethos of Coláiste Iognáid and the aim of the Jesuit education in the formation of students as persons of competence, conscience and compassion.
In addition to its aims, the Parents’ Council assists in organising the annual 5th year school show, the 6th year graduation mass, and supports the Principle, Vice-Principal, and the school when and where required.
All parents or guardians of students attending Coláiste Iognáid are automatic members of the Parents’ Council.
The Parents’ Council holds an AGM, in the first term of each school year. All parents are invited to attend, upon notice. At the AGM members are elected to the Parents’ Committee, which represents the Council. The Parents’ Council aims to elect two parents/guardians of children from each school year, together with two parent representatives to the school board of management. The Council strongly encourages gender balance amongst its electees. Once elected, each committee member may serve a term of three consecutive years only, in accordance with the Parents’ Council Constitution.
The Parents Council seeks to achieve its aims and discharge its functions through monthly meetings, usually held on the first Tuesday of each month from September to June. The Committee does not deal with issues, involving individuals, their parents and the school, but works with the Principal, who usually attends each monthly meeting, to promote the aims of the Council.
The Parents’ Council can be contacted at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Matt O Connell - Secretary
|Liam O Moran
|Orla Walsh - Chairperson
|Parents Reps on Board of Management
|Barbara Cunningham Smyth